We thank the Lord for His blessings to Berea Baptist Church and to each of us personally. The deacons have chosen the theme of “Salvation.” All of our theme verses for 2016 remind us of God’s salvation to us. The theme verse for January is Matthew 1:21, “And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
There are many wonderful names and titles ascribed to Christ throughout the Bible. A study of these titles is not only interesting but also important since each name reveals insight into our Lord’s character. In a book titled, Bible Names of Christ, the author discusses eighty different titles: Counselor (Isaiah 9:6), Emmanuel (Matthew 1:23), Helper (Hebrews 13:6), Messiah (Daniel 9:25), Judge (John 5:22), Rose of Sharon (Song of Solomon 2:1), Sun of Righteousness (Malachi 4:2), just to name a few.
But the sweetest name of all to every believer is Jesus. The name Jesus literally means “the Lord saves.” And the Scriptures affirm without qualification that “Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
The song, That Beautiful Name, was first published in 1916. The hymn has since found a place in the affections of Christian people everywhere.
- I know of a Name, a beautiful Name, that angels brought down to earth; they whispered it low, one night long ago, to a maiden of lowly birth.
- I know of a Name, a Beautiful Name, that unto a Babe was given; the stars glittered bright throughout that glad night, and angels praised God in heav’n.
- The One of that Name my Savior became, my Savior of Calvary; my sins nailed Him there; my burdens He bare, He suffered all this for me.
- I love that blest Name, that wonderful Name, made higher than all in heav’n; ‘Twas whispered, I know, in my heart long ago – to Jesus my life I’ve giv’n.
- Chorus: That beautiful Name, that beautiful Name from sin has pow’r to free us! That beautiful Name, that wonderful Name, that matchless Name is Jesus!
May we rejoice in the gift of salvation made possible to us through God’s Son, Jesus.